Approximately 87% of cases the origin of halitosis or bad breath is in his mouth. The remaining 13% is related to pathology located in the ENT area or other systemic diseases (originating in the stomach, liver, etc.).
The most common intraoral causes are: lack of oral hygiene, use of prosthetic or orthodontic, periodontal diseases, use of certain medications that cause dry mouth (antidepressants, antihistamines, antihypertensives, etc.) and snuff.
Within the oral halitosis, 41% of cases are of lingual origin due to the accumulation of bacteria in the back of the tongue.
HOW TO PREVENT
Complete daily oral hygiene with a tongue cleaner, removing the layer of bacteria deposited on the back of the tongue that cause bad breath.
Other factors to prevent halitosis are:
• Brush your teeth in the morning, after meals and at bedtime.
• Do not forget the interproximal cleaning floss, interdental brushes or with the handpiece.
• Reduce or eliminate coffee, snuff and alcohol.
• Drink water between meals.
HOW TO ELIMINATE
Bad breath is often masked by the intake of candy or gum, but there is a treatment that eliminates the root halitosis.
Such treatment is aimed at reducing the number of odor-producing bacteria and reduce volatilization of malodorous products.
Among the antimicrobial agents used in the treatment of halitosis, are the chlorhexidine (CHX) at low concentration 0.05% cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC) and zinc lactate.
In Llidó Clinica, we will recommend the best treatment for your case.